Sunday, October 12, 2008

$66 million and mopeds

I love watching Golden State play. Don Nelson's "Nellyball" is just jargon for street ball. Even with Baron Davis gone to LA, it was going to be fun seeing who would emerge with fat stats this season. Nellyball made a rich man of Monta Ellis, who had been undistinguishable before arriving in the Bay.

But Ellis was a great fit last year and got a $66 million contract. In the offseason, he decided to ride a moped. Why does a man with a humongous contract ride on the most dangerous two-wheeled vehicle on earth? Inevitably, he tore a ligament in his ankle. Been there. It sucks. Your ankle is never the same, even with surgery.

Now Ellis is in big trouble after lying about the cause of the injury. Won't get paid for 30 games, which is roughly the amount of time he was going to miss anyway.

No, I won't be drafting Ellis for my fantasy team unless he's in the last round. Maybe. All I know is, with a $66 million contract, I would be tooling around in a Volvo. I could even understand a guy that rich getting driven around by a chauffeur, even to pickup games.

"To Paki Park, James. We shall stop by Rainbow Drive In after the games for a delicious plate of chili, my good man."

Yeah. Oh well. Live and learn.

No comments: